Sunday, February 10, 2008

Update to the GC DAT

Well, I was able to put some more touches on the DAT file today. Now I have a working initial version for anyone to try out. Download the zip, and import it into OfflineList. There are CRCs available for a number of US released games, so it should pick up some of those just fine. I need any help locating the info for the other regions, of course. Drop a comment below if there's any problems, questions, adoration, etc.

Gamecube DAT File

After failing to find any reasonable alternatives, I have started some work on a Gamecube DAT file for OfflineList. Although at this stage it is not quite usable, I have loaded it with a few CRCs and such. I have a spreadsheet available for viewing at Google Docs with the data.

The next step will be to convert all this to OfflineList's DAT XML format. I need to search around a bit more to see if I can find all the details OL uses in their file (things like a list of location numbers, languages, etc). I will also be looking for anyone that can help in testing, verifying, etc. of the data. My GCM tool can spit out most of the needed information from the ISO. Drop me a line if you are interested in either using or helping me with this little project.

GCM Tool

I've opened this blog to keep news on the various projects I am working on.

First up is my command-line tool, GCM. It will display information from a Gamecube image. It will also allow you to shrink the image to the smallest necessary size, while still allowing it to play fully on a Gamecube or Wii (similar to GCMUtility). You can check out the latest source from SVN at Google Code. I have started implementing the ability to extract files from Gamecube images. It isn't yet in a finished state, but you can experiment with it.

I have found one game that GCMUtility fails to shrink properly. With Super Monkey Ball, it does not reassign the bootfile offset to it's new location when shrinking. So, you end up unable to play it. Thus far, I haven't run into any games that my GCM tool fails to run. If there is any, I'd sure like to know!